Sport Partner Spotlight
Calgary Warriors Track Club
The objective of the Calgary Warriors Track Club is to hand students grade 7-12 the tools and training to be successful in track & field. A number of top-class athletes have come forth from the ranks of the Calgary Warriors, making provincial and national teams, and several have obtained scholarships at universities in Canada and the U.S.A.
How long have you been a Sport Partner at Repsol Sport Centre?
As long as I know, since I started coaching with the Warriors in 1999.
Why do you enjoy training at Repsol Sport Centre?
It is the best solution for our indoor track needs in Calgary.
Do you have any comments about our quality of service and equipment?
Service is good, staff is friendly and helpful.
Can you share a success story?
2019 was our strongest season since the start of the club in 1991. We had eleven athletes compete at the Legion Canadian Youth Championships in Cape Breton in August, which is a high number since we had only thirty-eight active members in the U18 and U16 categories.
Here follow our top-performers (mentioning those who placed top-8):
- Mandeep Sangha (14): gold in the 2000m, bronze in the 1200m, 4th in the 800m.
- Sorcha Shiu (14): silver in the 1500m steeple chase, 5th in the 2000m.
- Sienna MacDonald (17): silver in the heptathlon.
- Ryan Wright (17): silver in the 110m hurdles. Gold in the 4x100m with Team Alberta.
- Winston Clarke (17): silver in the decathlon.
- Reagan Bliss (15): 4th in the 80m hurdles, 4th in the pentathlon.
- Erika Cunniam (16): 6th in the 3000m.
- Jack Wesolowski (17): 6th in the decathlon.
- Evonne Henning (15): 7th in the javelin throw.
- Sienna MacDonald set a new provincial record in the U18 100m hurdles (13.87).
Thirty-eight new club records were set in the 2019 outdoor season.
Seven athletes were selected on Team Alberta for the Canadian Youth Championships (highest number of one club in the province).
We won 16 medals at the U18/U16 Provincial Championships, 8 being gold.
Overall a fantastic year for our athletes